Wednesday 7 December 2011

Waiting on Wednesday #1


'Waiting On' Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine, where you can gush about books that you're desperate to get your hands on...if only they were published already.


For my first Waiting On Wednesday post I've picked a book I just discovered this week.

For Darkness Shows the Stars - by Diana Peterfreund
Release Date: 12th June, 2012



About the book: 
Generations ago, a genetic experiment gone wrong—the Reduction—decimated humanity, giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.
Eighteen-year-old Luddite Elliot North has always known her place in this caste system. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family’s estate over love. But now the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress and threatening Luddite control; Elliot’s estate is floundering; and she’s forced to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth—an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliott wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she abandoned him.
But Elliot soon discovers her childhood friend carries a secret—-one that could change the society in which they live…or bring it to its knees. And again, she’s faced with a choice: cling to what she’s been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she’s ever loved, even if she has lost him forever.
Inspired by Jane Austen’s PERSUASION, FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.

I stumbled upon For Darkness Shows the Stars on Goodreads the other day. The cover looks amazing, but it's the blurb that made me desperate for this book. As I was reading it, all I could think of was Persuasion by Jane Austen. It wasn't until it was confirmed at the end of the blurb that I got super excited.

I'm not a big Austen fan. I've read all her books and I've found there are only 2 that I can handle well: Pride and Prejudice (because who doesn't melt when they think of Mr. Dracy?) and Persuasion. There was something about the theme of second chances, and having Captain Wentworth try and make Anne jealous by acting like he didn't care for her anymore, that made the story so emotional, but loveable. Other than Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion is the only Austen novel I'd consider rereading in the near future.

I will definitely have to break my tradition of avoiding hardback books to get this one next year, because as far as I know it's only scheduled for release in the US; but I'll definitely be buying it online.

Kim

9 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this one!!! Not only is the cover gorgeous, but I am in love with the fact that it IS a re-telling of Persuasion. Like you, there aren't many Austen books I can get in to, but Persuasion is one of the lucky few!!

    Waiting on Wednesday @ Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very gorgeous cover! Sounds awesome! New follower

    Visit my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super excited fro this one too that cover is freaking awesome, righT!? :D

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing this around. The cover looks great and it seems like a great read!
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kelly I was super excited to come across it. There are a lot of Austen re-makes out there which I'm not all that fussed about. But I'm desperate for this one.

    @Jennifer Messerschmidt Thanks for the follow and for stopping by!

    @Giselle , @janiera & @Karis Jacobstein I Love the cover. Apparently it's modelled of a Katy Perry photo from her ET video clip. I like when covers have a back story.

    @Jaskirat@SeeitORreadit I'm excited too.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH, I admire you. I was totally blindsided by the cover and ignored everything else. Until of course I stopped and read the summary. It's so alluring and although I've never picked up an Austen book in my life - *ducks* nobody shoot! - I like the comparison.

    Have a spectacular reading week!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @A. Knight Hey, no judging here. If it wasn't for high school and uni I wouldn't have read any Austen either. I'm glad you didn't stop at the cover.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete