Tuesday 4 December 2012

Scent of Magic - Maria V. Snyder

Scent of Magic (Healer, #2)Title: Scent of Magic (Healer #2) - Maria V. Snyder
Grade: YA
Rating 5/5 Stars

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again


Description from Goodreads

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

I was a huge fan of Touch of Power, (the first book in the Healers series) and was ecstatic to receive an ARC of the sequel Scent of Magic from Harlequin.

If you haven't read Touch of Power, I strongly recommend it. It hooks you in right from the start and leaves you begging for more.

Scent of Magic begins right where Touch of Power left off. Avry has survived the plague, thanks to the Peace Lily, and she and Kerrick finally give in to their feelings. But there's no happily ever after just yet for these two. As much as they wish they could get on with their lives together, they know Tahon must be stopped. And for that to happen Kerrick must return to Rynes military without Avry by his side. Avry has a mission of her own. Since everyone believes she has died from the plague, Avry disguises herself to infiltrate the holy army in order to prepare the solders for the soon to be war with Tahon.

I love that, even though Kerrick is no longer by Avry's side, we don't lose sight on what happens to him as the chapters are actually split between him and Avry. Seeing things in Kerrick's perspective was quite interesting and I was eager to find out more about this wonderful character.

I found the start to be a little slow, which is understandable since preparing for war requires a lot of preparation (I was also feeling exhausted on the day I started this book, so that could be why I found the start slow). But once the action starts.... Boy, does it start!

Ms Snyder knows how to torture her readers by putting our most loved characters in dire situations. No one is safe, and no one can be trusted. I've never seen so many double crosses before!
And then there's Tahon! I swear Tahon deserves the evil villain award. That man is just horrid!

Just when you think you know how it will end, Ms Snyder leaves you hanging on a cliff hanger that will have you begging for the next book. Please Ms Snyder! Can I have the next book now?

Thoroughly enjoyable! 5 out of 5


Kerrie

Originally Posted on Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I haven't got my copy yet. I'm really looking forward to it though. It's a shame they're not together, but I liked how in Magic Study Valek and Yelena were separated but still managed to see each other (Yelena had visions)and then Valek snuck down to see her.

    Although this sounds different - I'm glad we get the dual perspective, but they don't talk at all til they're reunited? That would suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Maria's other series (I must look into that!) but yeah, no communication until they reunite. That was hard to read, but I think it will make book 3 all the more better because of it.

      Delete